Easy Steps For Preventing Mice
Despite the warm autumn, mice are preparing to find their way inside. When they come, they bring in filth, disease and eat your food and leave their remains. They are the worst possible house guests.
But there are ways you can prevent mice from coming inside and keep them outside where they belong. Use these tips to keep your house mouse free this autumn.
- Eat only in the kitchen – by using one designated area in the house to eat reduce the spread of crumbs and scraps.
- Use air tight containers – store all food outside of the fridge in airtight containers. Mice and rats can eat through plastic and paper bags. Thick plastic containers and cartons are recommended.
- Keep an Empty Sink – do not leave dishes in the sink or countertops. Wash all dishes immediately after use.
- Use small trash bags – take your garbage out regularly.
- Avoid clutter – Mice make their home in clutter.
- Install door sweeps – fill gaps between the doorsill and the base of the floor.
- Feed pets at scheduled times – Remove leftover food and place in the refrigerator. Do not leave food out all day. Remove water at night.
- Seal all openings in outer walls, at floor and wall junctions tight enough to prevent rodent entry. There should be no opening greater than ¼ inch. All entrances to doors in the home should be gap free and tight fitting.
- Remove all debris including leaves and dead wood, standing water or moss from around the home.
- Repair all leaking pipes and damaged spigots. Seal all plumbing connections between apartments.
By doing the above, you will be able to prevent mice and rats from coming into your home.
If you think you have a mouse or rat problem already? Give Jove a call(844-879-5683) to discuss what you’ve seen.
Jove Pest Control is based in Harlem, and provides service to New York City, Long Island, Westchester, Rockland and New Jersey. We partner with clients to provide the best pest elimination solution and long term prevention.